Extended Barra Fishing Charters
Extended Barra Fishing Charters run during the Runoff (late February – May) and the Buildup (September – November). Running from 2 – 7 days these small group charters for up to 4 per boat are very popular for those who want to get out and chase big barra. Larger groups can be catered for.
Based at Shady Camp. Clients stay at Point Stuart Wilderness Lodge which is 20km of the Shady Camp boat ramp and some of the best runoff off fishing locations in the Top End. Not only access the Mary River mouths but the surrounding runoff Creeks and Bays. Barramundi is the main target species with threadfin and blue salmon and jewfish also being caught at various times of the year.
Our extended fishing packages are created with you in mind. Not only is this a fishing charter but a Top End experience. From the moment we pick you up from the airport or your accommodation we will take care of all your accommodation and meals. All you have to do is bring your personal items and medication and we will be on our way. Our charters are BYO.
When you come fishing with Reel Screamin Barra Fishing your charter includes:
- Door to door transfers from the airport or your Darwin Accommodation
- Accommodation in air- conditioned single/ twin / triple or quad room ensuite room at Point Stuart Wilderness Lodge. You can view the rooms here
- All meals (except breakfast the first day and dinner the last night) and light refreshments whilst on board. Dietary requirements can be catered for
- Lures and tackle on a replace if lost or broken basis. (Fly Fisherman you will have to bring your own gear)
- Sunscreen and insect repellent. If you have sensitivites to particular products we suggest you bring your own.
- An experienced and friendly guide. Jarrod has over 15 years experience guiding in the Top End.
What you need to Bring
What to bring is a question on most people’s mind, this includes
- Long light clothing and a wide brim/hooded hat or buff style face mask are important to keep out the harsh tropical sun. Also footwear that can get wet.
- We have sunscreen and mozzie repellent on the boat although many people choose to bring a personal supply also.
- We supply water and soft drink, it is BYO alcohol. We prefer cans to bottles as they can be crushed and take up less space.
- You must bring a camera to take the photo of any trophy Barramundi
An idea of what happens on an extended Barra Fishing Charter
Thank you Anthony for putting this together
Shady Camp Runoff Barra Fishing
When to Visit: Late February – May
The Runoff precedes the Wet when the flood plains drain into the rivers and coastal creeks and brings along the bait fish that have been breeding. The barra come into the rivers and creeks to feed on these bait fish.
Well know for it’s metre barra, clients have the opportunity to target these big barra. Also, later in the season threadfin salmon arrive in the river with double and triple hookups not uncommon.
Buildup Fishing Charters
When to Visit: Late September – November
The Build up is when the wind starts to die down and the humidity starts to rise. This is when the big barra come back on the bite as they get ready to breed in the river mouths and afternoon storms arrive.
During this time we offer three day extended charters to Shady Camp targeting Barramundi. Other species that can be targeted are Jewfish and threadfin salmon. We also offer multi day charters to various locations throughout the Top End including Shady Camp, Dundee Beach, Leaders Creek / Vernon Islands and Darwin Habour.