Extended Fishing Charters
Extended Fishing Charters run throughout the year, particularly during the Runoff (Late February – May) and the Buildup (September – November). These Charters run from 2 – 7 days with up to four clients per boat. Larger groups can be catered for.
Runoff Fishing Charters are based at Shady Camp. Clients stay at Point Stuart Wilderness Lodge which is 20km of the Shady Camp boat ramp and some of the best runoff off fishing locations in the Top End. You will access not only the Mary River mouths but the surrounding runoff Creeks and Bays. Barramundi is the main target species with threadfin and blue salmon and jewfish also being caught at this time.
Buildup Fishing Charters are various locations throughout the Top End depending on where the fish. Locations include Dundee Beach, Leaders Creek / Vernon Islands and Shady Camp. These Charters target Barramundi, Jewfish and bluewater sport fish including Queenfish and Giant Trevally.
Extended Fishing Charters include
- Door to door transfers from the airport or your Darwin Accommodation
- Accommodation in air- conditioned single/ twin / triple or quad room ensuite room
- All meals (except breakfast the first day and dinner the last night) and light refreshments whilst on board. Dietary requirements can be catered for
- Lures and tackle on a replace if lost or broken basis. (Fly Fisherman you will have to bring your own gear)
- Sunscreen and insect repellent. If you have sensitivites to particular products we suggest you bring your own.
- An experienced and friendly guide. Jarrod has over 15 years experience guiding in the Top End.
What you need to Bring
What to bring is a question on most people’s mind, this includes
- Long light clothing and a wide brim/hooded hat or buff style face mask are important to keep out the harsh tropical sun. Also footwear that can get wet.
- We have sunscreen and mozzie repellent on the boat although many people choose to bring a personal supply also.
- We supply water and soft drink, it is BYO alcohol. We prefer cans to bottles as they can be crushed and take up less space.
- You must bring a camera to take the photo of any trophy Barramundi
Our Extended Fishing Charters
Shady Camp Runoff Barra Fishing
When to Visit: Late February – May
The Runoff precedes the Wet when the flood plains drain into the rivers and coastal creeks and brings along the bait fish that have been breeding. The barra come into the rivers and creeks to feed on these bait fish.
Well know for it’s metre barra, clients have the opportunity to target these big barra. Also, later in the season threadfin salmon arrive in the river with double and triple hookups not uncommon.
Buildup Fishing Charters
When to Visit: Late September – November
The Build up is when the wind starts to die down and the humidity starts to rise. This is when the big barra come back on the bite as they get ready to breed in the river mouths and afternoon storms arrive.
During this time we offer three day extended charters to Shady Camp targeting Barramundi. Other species that can be targeted are Jewfish and threadfin salmon. We also offer multi day charters to various locations throughout the Top End including Shady Camp, Dundee Beach, Leaders Creek / Vernon Islands and Darwin Habour.